Packlist for Camping in Iceland
What to bring for your Camping trip in Iceland during summer!
Iceland during during summer can be such an incredible place with the eternal light and views that just goes on and on. The endless road ahead of you and time is on your side. With limitless of camping places, you are having a truly free spirited holiday in a, at times, painfully beautiful country. To make sure you will get the most of your trip, there are a few things you should bring with you.
Read more: Where to camp in Iceland
1. You need decent breathable outdoor clothing like sturdy walking boots and clothes that can withstand rain and wind. You never know when those black clouds decides to blow over you.
2. The evenings can get cold so make sure you have clothes to keep you warm at all times, including when sleeping.
3. You need dry clothes to sleep in. Moist clothes can give you the chills during night.
4. Insect repellents is also very good to have with you. You might also want to consider one of those mosquito lamps for the summer evenings when you want to sit and enjoy the summer at your camping table. Lets be honest, there are one or two places where Mosquitoes or Midges are plentiful and you really want to be prepared for that. Bring your favorite after bite remedy and you might also want to bring a Mosquito head net just in case. Better to be prepared than sorry.
5. Do not forget your swimwear and a towel and get a map of all the places where you can enjoy natural hot springs or enjoy a swim in a pool you will find in most villages in Iceland.
Read more: Camping in Iceland
6. To make your food more tasty without having to buy all your favorite spices, why not pack small zip lock bags with your favorite spices and seasoning. You are are also allowed to pick Blueberries for your own consumption if you can find them (they are plentiful in the right time and place). Iceland also has it‘s share of delicious mushrooms with Larch Bolete (Lat. Suillus grevillei), Birch Bolete (Lat. Leccinum scabrum) and Slippery Jack (Lat. Suillus luteus) being the most popular ones. We do recommend you read up on the subject so you know what you are doing before picking and cooking with wild mushrooms.
7. A first aid kit. There are plenty travel packs to choose from. In case you cut yourself or scrape you knee or even support a sprain, it‘s good to be prepared, especially if you are far away from towns and villages.
8. Some visitors might experience difficulties to fall asleep during those bright summer nights so a sleep mask might be a good idea to bring for in high season, it really doesn’t get dark at all here. Our camper vans are equipped with curtains but that might not be enough so bring a sleep mask to make sure you can sleep if the light bothers you.
9. A backpack suiting your activities. A sturdy one that can take a beating from rain and rocks.
10. Shorts and T-shirts. Yes, you might need them, especially in sheltered areas. It does every now and then, get to be very warm and you want to be able to dress accordingly.
Read more: What’s included in you camper van rental
Then you will need your personal stuff too like toiletries, medicine and underwear and stuff. You know what you need. Many camping sites has washing facilities so you don‘t need to do your laundry in a creek. If you do, make sure you use something ecological so you won‘t poison the water.
We might have missed out something here so feel free to add it in the comment section below.
Read more: Win a full refund of you Camper rental
Happy camping! #WohoCamper
Iceland Travel Guides
If you like what you see, please subscribe to our YouTube channel!